LAC Bible Quizzing
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Forum spam

+5
~QuizzingChik~
Obasi42
The Forerunner
BBK
Haerodiel
9 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Forum spam Empty Forum spam

Post  Haerodiel Mon Dec 15, 2008 6:47 pm

Obviously, spam is getting way out of hand. So much so that I thought it necessary to inform our small community here on what spam is, and why and how it should be avoided.

Spaming (on a forum at least) is the posting of pointless or unwanted fluff, or words. I would use the word "information," but it's not even information that is being posted.

Web definitions include:
- "unsolicited, unwanted, irrelevant, or inappropriate messages"
- "Unscrupulous or unethical means of inflating results" (or, posting just to raise your rank)

Another identifies it as "an obnoxious practice;" when material is categorized as spam, it means that it's annoying and unnecessary and please don't post it. I found that the average page of posts has about 6 or 7 posts worth reading. (don't hold me to that; that's an off-the-top estimate)

Thus, I would like to request that we all be aware of this and try to keep spamming down.

{Obviously, some people spam more than others, and this may not apply to everyone. If large amounts of spamming continues, individuals may be addressed through Private Message.}

Thank you for reading.
Haerodiel
Haerodiel

Back to top Go down

Forum spam Empty Re: Forum spam

Post  Haerodiel Mon Dec 15, 2008 6:52 pm

And another note: be careful using this space to accuse specific persons of spamming. I have noticed spam from some people who I'm fairly sure would claim they never spam. You wouldn't want me to point that out here in front of everyone, would you? Wink

And last one: On the Doctor Who forum I'm apart of, they limit posts to 4 smilies, and each post has to have as least 10 characters. If Perry know how to do this, that would be great. Very Happy Great spam prevention right there.
Haerodiel
Haerodiel

Back to top Go down

Post  BBK Tue Dec 16, 2008 10:48 am

is this a fourm were you can spam or cant spam???
BBK
BBK
A Man Named Steve
A Man Named Steve

Back to top Go down

Post  Haerodiel Tue Dec 16, 2008 8:53 pm

I'm not sure whether you mean this forum, or this thread, so I'll answer both: No. Spam is never really appreciated anywhere. On the Randomness threads, some amount of spam is tollerable, but only to some degree. For example:

- Please stop that
- Ya! Stop it! (< spam) (usualy followed by some kind of: Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad )

This could be seen as a duplicate post. There's no need to post what someone else has already said. This is the most common type of spam I see here, though not the only kind. If you have something else to say as well, feel free to add that in your post. Or if it is a special situation where the person really is doing something wrong, you can back up their comment.
Haerodiel
Haerodiel

Back to top Go down

Post  The Forerunner Wed Dec 17, 2008 10:45 am

I can't limit the similes, but I have limited the length.
The Forerunner
The Forerunner
Admin
Admin

http://www.teefury.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Obasi42 Wed Dec 17, 2008 1:49 pm

woot!
Obasi42
Obasi42
Have You Seen My Gerbil?
Have You Seen My Gerbil?

Back to top Go down

Post  Obasi42 Wed Dec 17, 2008 1:50 pm

Hey! That was five characters. What's the limit?
Obasi42
Obasi42
Have You Seen My Gerbil?
Have You Seen My Gerbil?

Back to top Go down

Post  BBK Wed Dec 17, 2008 7:55 pm

Obasi42 wrote:Hey! That was five characters. What's the limit?
I dont know. MR.dont spam will you kindly tell us!!!!!!!
BBK
BBK
A Man Named Steve
A Man Named Steve

Back to top Go down

Post  The Forerunner Thu Dec 18, 2008 12:10 am

Excuse me, that's my bad, that was the topic length I can limit, I can't limit post length, however, I will not hesitate to start deleting posts that are mere fluff.

This is the work of Mr. Don't Spam, for Mr. Walking A Thin Line.
The Forerunner
The Forerunner
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  BBK Thu Dec 18, 2008 5:00 pm

MR.DONT SPAM has a weird tast of avatars. Razz
BBK
BBK
A Man Named Steve
A Man Named Steve

Back to top Go down

Post  Haerodiel Fri Dec 19, 2008 6:50 pm

BBK wrote:MR.DONT SPAM has a weird tast of avatars. Razz
That might could be labled spam. If it was a comment on another post that had relevance, it wouldn't be.
Haerodiel
Haerodiel

Back to top Go down

Post  ~QuizzingChik~ Fri Dec 19, 2008 9:55 pm

Why it such a big deal! So what! Let the kids have their fun *pats obasi and Brandon on the head* Razz
~QuizzingChik~
~QuizzingChik~
Deep Thought
Deep Thought

Back to top Go down

Post  Haerodiel Mon Dec 22, 2008 7:05 pm

It gets annoying. Especially when for every page of posts, only 5 are worth reading.
Haerodiel
Haerodiel

Back to top Go down

Post  The Forerunner Mon Dec 22, 2008 8:20 pm

~QuizzingChik~ wrote:Why it such a big deal! So what! Let the kids have their fun *pats obasi and Brandon on the head* Razz

Speak for yourself.
The Forerunner
The Forerunner
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Cause I Rock:) Mon Dec 22, 2008 10:49 pm

yeh chris no spam lets put tham out of town Twisted Evil
Cause I Rock:)
Cause I Rock:)
A Man Named Steve
A Man Named Steve

Back to top Go down

Post  BBK Tue Dec 23, 2008 9:38 pm

~QuizzingChik~ wrote:Why it such a big deal! So what! Let the kids have their fun *pats obasi and Brandon on the head* Razz
THANTS NOT FUNNY

Last edited by BBK on Wed Aug 26, 2009 7:34 pm; edited 1 time in total
BBK
BBK
A Man Named Steve
A Man Named Steve

Back to top Go down

Post  Daughter of the Wind Fri Dec 26, 2008 12:07 pm

I think that if you just post random stuff to up your rank, you haven't really earned your rank. If you've just posted 300 posts of nothing, have you really contributed to the forum? Rank isn't a contest! It's supposed to show how long you've been dedicated to this forum. Dedicated does not mean posting randomness about nothing! This is a forum that's supposed to be about quizzing! So far, there's only a few threads that are about quizzing and almost hundreds that are about other randomness. I'm not saying that a few off topic threads aren't fun but as long as people will actually post something meaningful on them. I have a great respect for my sister, Jessica, and Perry. Neither of them spam but they still make the forum fun for me to read and post on! now that's a revolutionary idea for some people (i'm not naming names). I actually READ their posts and if i want to have a conversation about their post, i will pm them.

I just want to say that the ones who have my respect and the many on this forum are the ones who write posts that actually mean something.
Daughter of the Wind
Daughter of the Wind

Back to top Go down

Post  BBK Sun Dec 28, 2008 3:29 pm

Daughter of the Wind wrote:I think that if you just post random stuff to up your rank, you haven't really earned your rank. If you've just posted 300 posts of nothing, have you really contributed to the forum? Rank isn't a contest! It's supposed to show how long you've been dedicated to this forum. Dedicated does not mean posting randomness about nothing! This is a forum that's supposed to be about quizzing! So far, there's only a few threads that are about quizzing and almost hundreds that are about other randomness. I'm not saying that a few off topic threads aren't fun but as long as people will actually post something meaningful on them. I have a great respect for my sister, Jessica, and Perry. Neither of them spam but they still make the forum fun for me to read and post on! now that's a revolutionary idea for some people (i'm not naming names). I actually READ their posts and if i want to have a conversation about their post, i will pm them.

I just want to say that the ones who have my respect and the many on this forum are the ones who write posts that actually mean something.
look I just made this thread for the random things that people post.

Last edited by BBK on Wed Feb 04, 2009 11:08 am; edited 1 time in total
BBK
BBK
A Man Named Steve
A Man Named Steve

Back to top Go down

Post  BBK Sun Dec 28, 2008 3:32 pm

mine mean something Crying or Very sad Sad I dont spam anymore.

Last edited by BBK on Wed Feb 04, 2009 11:05 am; edited 1 time in total
BBK
BBK
A Man Named Steve
A Man Named Steve

Back to top Go down

Post  Haerodiel Mon Dec 29, 2008 3:23 pm

BBK wrote:okay stop with the dont do spam stuff this is a thread were you can spam so get off this thread if you dont want to be random.(no offence)well dont realy get off this thread but dont complane about it.

Ok, this is another case of you not reading what the thread is about!!! If you had read the very first post of this thread, you would have know that this is a thread telling people not to spam!

This is not a thread where you can spam. And no, There are several people whom I have not seen spam at all. Rach is one of them.

And by the way, Perry and I now have a new strategy for dealing with obvious and glaring spam.
Haerodiel
Haerodiel

Back to top Go down

Post  BBK Mon Dec 29, 2008 9:18 pm

I DONT SPAM ANYMORE!!! plus I dont get on the site that much anymore.

Last edited by BBK on Wed Feb 04, 2009 11:10 am; edited 2 times in total
BBK
BBK
A Man Named Steve
A Man Named Steve

Back to top Go down

Post  duckducktape Sat Jan 03, 2009 9:40 pm

good idea jenn, this is definitely a topic that is applicable to the quiz forums.
I'd also like to add(in case it wasn't already said, excuse my short term memory. xD)
say you're in funny pictures(for example)
and you post a picture of idk, a clown eating the globe.
for one, PLEASE don't post "oh thats cool"
and that be your entire post. at least say why you think it's cool, or even better, add a pic that relates to that one.
like a clown making a godzilla balloon animal. whatever.
also, if you posted the pic and someone says, "oh cool etc.."
do n't just reply, "o ya thanks" there's really no need on a forum to post three words just so you have one more post. if need be, add it to your next post of significance. for example, next time you find a pic you'd like to share, just comment on the same post as your picture, "thanks i thought my pick of the evil clown was cool too, -insert name here-"
Long story short, if at all possible, use less posts to say what you need to say.
like it was said, "ranking is not a contest"
a million tiny posts are way more annoying than a few large ones.
i'm sure there are some exceptions to that, however, that seems moderately fair.
now that my tyraid is over, i'm going to hide in a dark corner and study for biology and invitationals.
silent
duckducktape
duckducktape
Most Excellent Theophilus

http://www.randomshirts.com/store/home.php?xid=68f8d0885fbbe7b8a

Back to top Go down

Post  Haerodiel Thu Jan 08, 2009 5:50 pm

duckducktape wrote:good idea jenn, this is definitely a topic that is applicable to the quiz forums.
I'd also like to add(in case it wasn't already said, excuse my short term memory. xD)
say you're in funny pictures(for example)
and you post a picture of idk, a clown eating the globe.
for one, PLEASE don't post "oh thats cool"
and that be your entire post. at least say why you think it's cool, or even better, add a pic that relates to that one.
like a clown making a godzilla balloon animal. whatever.
also, if you posted the pic and someone says, "oh cool etc.."
do n't just reply, "o ya thanks" there's really no need on a forum to post three words just so you have one more post. if need be, add it to your next post of significance. for example, next time you find a pic you'd like to share, just comment on the same post as your picture, "thanks i thought my pick of the evil clown was cool too, -insert name here-"
Long story short, if at all possible, use less posts to say what you need to say.
like it was said, "ranking is not a contest"
a million tiny posts are way more annoying than a few large ones.
i'm sure there are some exceptions to that, however, that seems moderately fair.
now that my tyraid is over, i'm going to hide in a dark corner and study for biology and invitationals.
silent

Yes!

In the DWF (Doctor Who Forum) people will occasionally quote other people and simply say "Quoted for truth." This is one occasional and scarce example of an exception to the rule. When someone else has posted a nice long post explaining an idea, if someone else wants to agree and think that their own opinion can't be explained any better, this will be all their message contains, and this is ok. However, a more often occurance is where someone adds to the post they agree with by adding a few more details as to what *their* opinion is.

But yes, short posts just saying "Ya, don't." "Hey, that's neat." and "Yes!" do little more than make the reader neat to scroll down farther to get to a post worth reading.

One exception to this rule was in my "Twelve Days of Quizmas." It had sat still, no one posting, it just kinda sat there not going anywhere, so Jessica posted something along the lines of "Hey, that's funny! I like that." and I said "Thank you, I rather like it myself."
Hmm, I wonder if that's still sitting there. Let me go check...
Haerodiel
Haerodiel

Back to top Go down

Post  BBK Wed Feb 04, 2009 11:14 am

okay what is this thread about? Wink anyways its pretty much just arguing.
BBK
BBK
A Man Named Steve
A Man Named Steve

Back to top Go down

Post  duckducktape Thu Feb 05, 2009 11:27 pm

BBK wrote:okay what is this thread about? Wink anyways its pretty much just arguing.
this thread. this one you are reading from.
is to explain what is and is not considered spam.
this is because there seems to be a lot of spam.
So this thread is an attempt to explain
what should not be posted.
study
duckducktape
duckducktape

http://www.randomshirts.com/store/home.php?xid=68f8d0885fbbe7b8a

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content