LAC Bible Quizzing
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Doctor Who

+8
Cause I Rock:)
Testimony of Greatness
Haerodiel
~QuizzingChik~
Obasi42
BBK
The Forerunner
Daughter of the Wind
12 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Doctor Who - Page 2 Empty Re: Doctor Who

Post  ~QuizzingChik~ Fri Nov 14, 2008 8:18 pm

These long post are absolutely tiring!
~QuizzingChik~
~QuizzingChik~
Deep Thought
Deep Thought

Back to top Go down

Post  Obasi42 Fri Nov 14, 2008 11:49 pm

Well, Rachel did say
Daughter of the Wind wrote:by the way, if you havn't seen Doctor Who, this isn't the thread for you

This is pretty interesting stuff, if you watch the show.
Obasi42
Obasi42
Have You Seen My Gerbil?
Have You Seen My Gerbil?

Back to top Go down

Post  ~QuizzingChik~ Sat Nov 15, 2008 2:10 am

humph..
~QuizzingChik~
~QuizzingChik~
Deep Thought
Deep Thought

Back to top Go down

Post  Haerodiel Sun Nov 16, 2008 8:30 pm

Obasi42 wrote:I do have a comment to the post about Astrid. I'm not saying that things weren't too quick with Astrid, but the Doctor has been getting less and less secretive. When he met Rose, he wouldn't even say that he was a Time Lord. But now, he'll stride into a room saying "I am a Time Lord from the planet Gallifrey... "(not a quote) and so on, just to get attention.
So, I believe, in about fifty Companions or so, he'll probably just bring along anyone who catches his eye. cyclops
And you hit right on the dot the one thing that bugs me the most about the direction of this new series. It is also another reason why I hate this episode. The Doctor was more open here about who he was than I have ever seen him be in either the old or new series. "I'm the Doctor. I'm a Timelord, from the planet Gallifrey in the constiation of Kastoberous, I'm 903 years old, and I'm the man that's going to save your lives and the lives of everyone on the planet below. Got a problem with that?" Yes I do. Quit flaunting who you are! You're less mysterious and less menally imposing that way! Hmph.

Alright now you've got me going. Some more reasons why I hate that episode. *WAY* overly dramatic, the whole thing. The whole cyborg issue? Way too overdone, dramatised, and sappy. I could hardly stand it.

Then there was one scene that would nearly ruin any episode for me. Rememer right when Astrid died? (and good ridance, by the way) There was fire coming up all around... The Doctor slowing turns to face the camara and holds out his arms in a very Jesus-looking way. He stands there for a minute, then snaps his fingers. The angel robots then come, grab his arms, and fly him up and away, as he looks up at the ceiling. Oh. My Gosh. I could *not* believe they did that! Can you say Christ-figure? I could have killed myself. I thought the end of Doctor Who as we knew it was upon us.

Of course, then comes the whole drama of Astrid's death and blah that I already talked about. All in all, the worst episode of the New Series. I never plan on watching it again.

Christina, if you're not interested, you don't have to read our long posts. This thread is for those who love Doctor Who and want to talk about it. You don't have to post in every thread.

Sooo... anyone else with ideas about his name? I've got all kinds of detailed theories, but I want to see what other people have to say first. Actally, more questions that theories, but certainly thought-inspiring.
Haerodiel
Haerodiel

Back to top Go down

Post  Haerodiel Sun Nov 23, 2008 8:51 pm

I would just like to say that TODAY, Sunday November 23, is the 45th Annaversary of Doctor Who!! Woot! Celebrating 45 years of utter amasingness!! sunny flower jocolor king drunken Very Happy sunny
Haerodiel
Haerodiel

Back to top Go down

Post  Obasi42 Sun Nov 23, 2008 10:43 pm

Oh yeah!!! I believe "Doctor Who" is one of the only two shows that deserve this post. That's right, it may be Doctor Who's 45th anniversary, but it's also The First Day I Get To Be Called "A Man Named Steve". sunny sunny king jocolor Or TFDIGTBC"AMNS" for short. cherry
Obasi42
Obasi42
Have You Seen My Gerbil?
Have You Seen My Gerbil?

Back to top Go down

Post  ~QuizzingChik~ Mon Nov 24, 2008 1:02 am

Uhhh.. doctor who is popular in England and does not deserve its own forum! Its not popular here really! Devote to spongebob!
~QuizzingChik~
~QuizzingChik~
Deep Thought
Deep Thought

Back to top Go down

Post  Obasi42 Mon Nov 24, 2008 1:34 am

Please leave this thread. We do not need your opinions on a show that you haven't even seen one episode of!
Obasi42
Obasi42
Have You Seen My Gerbil?
Have You Seen My Gerbil?

Back to top Go down

Post  Haerodiel Mon Nov 24, 2008 7:19 pm

~QuizzingChik~ wrote:Uhhh.. doctor who is popular in England and does not deserve its own forum! Its not popular here really! Devote to spongebob!
Ok. I'll go along with the crowd and be devoted to something just because it's popular. I'll not be devoted to something just because I think it's really awsome and I enjoy it.
Haerodiel
Haerodiel

Back to top Go down

Post  Haerodiel Fri Nov 28, 2008 3:22 pm

Alrighty! Here's my first post on the Doctor's name:

First of all, I hope we never ever learn his name. An analogy that someone gave on the Doctor Who forum was:

kind of hope we never find out his name, it keeps him mysterious and unpredictable - sort of like how The Joker seems to live on another plane of existence, you can't pin down a guy who has no identity.
My analogy is that it's kind of like the universe: a huge portion of the beauty of the universe is that we don't know everything there is to know, so it's exciting to explore and to learn more. If you knew everything, what would be the fun of that? Knowing the Doctor's name would be like knowing the universe by name. The whole beauty of the secret is that we don't know.

I truely, truely hope that when finally it comes time for the Doctor to end, that even after his passing, that we still don't know his name.

Secondly, why is it hidden? It's not just hidden from us, the audience, but it is well and truely hidden. In "The Shakespeare Code when the Carrionite tries to use the power of a name to bind the Doctor, she is unable to find his name. Her reaction implys that she should have been able to, even if all she had heard him called by was "Doctor." But then she says: "Who in such desparation would hide his title?" So there is a reason for him to hide it. But why? Not all Timelords go by and alternate name.

Third, how is his name hidden? This isn't simply a case of calling himself y another name and not revealing his true name. As I said, the Carrionite's reacion implied that it should have been able to find a name, and then later in "Fires of Pompeii" the Doctor encounters soothesayer who tell the future. Not only that, but they can see anything in the whole of time. They successfully tell the Doctor all about himself, even though he didn't even tell them that he was called the Doctor! (He went by Spartacus) They knew that he was a Timelord called the Doctor from Gallifrey, and that Donna was called Donna (she also went by another name) from London (and this is the Roman Empire; London doesn't exist yet) Yet still these guys cannot find the Doctor's name! How has the Doctor hidden his name?!

It certainly isn't changed legally, for he still has his true name. However, When people ask his name, and he replies "Just the Doctor," this is true, for this is who he has become; he has left his first name behind him.

This is part one of the Doctor's name. Wink

If anyone actually read the entire thing, I am truely impressed.
Haerodiel
Haerodiel

Back to top Go down

Post  Daughter of the Wind Sat Nov 29, 2008 7:41 pm

i totally agree with everything you just said. but of course, we've discused this often so duh I agree.
but i've also wondered about the how. Are timelords able to conciel stuff in their minds behind the locked doors? i don't think even the Doctor himself wants to go in there.
but also, why is his name important? why does he hide it in such despiration? perhaps names are important to timelords like true names in Eragon. who knows?
Daughter of the Wind
Daughter of the Wind

Back to top Go down

Post  Haerodiel Sun Nov 30, 2008 9:47 pm

Daughter of the Wind wrote:but also, why is his name important? why does he hide it in such despiration? perhaps names are important to timelords like true names in Eragon. who knows?
Lol, I totally addressed that. Cool
Haerodiel
Haerodiel

Back to top Go down

Post  Obasi42 Tue Dec 16, 2008 1:42 am

Okay, new poll!

Which Doctor is your favorite? 9th or 10th?
Obasi42
Obasi42
Have You Seen My Gerbil?
Have You Seen My Gerbil?

Back to top Go down

Post  Daughter of the Wind Tue Dec 16, 2008 10:22 pm

well, i don't know which one i like better so I'll just post what i like about each.

9th: (my first, he was awesome. i was disappointed when he left) he had the most amazing smile. he was able to overcome what happened to his people, i liked how he talked to the Daleks with so much confidence (except when he was about to blow them and the earth up),

10th: (it took me a while to warm up to the idea of a new Doctor, but i love him) to quote Rose "great hair, some really great hair", when he's sad i just want to make it go away, he admitted his love for Rose, I've known this doctor longer so i know him better.

Overall Doctor: when he's sad or angry, he can contain it unless you deserve his anger. you can tell when you're in for it by his eyes and his silence. i also like how he can always take danger, but nowt the uber-serious danger, lightly and doesn't hide away in his TARDIS.

in conclusion, i think they were both fantastic and brilliant, but on a scale of 1 to 10, Eccleston is a 10 and Tennant is a 10.1

this post is likely to change when i remember more stuff i like about each doctor
Daughter of the Wind
Daughter of the Wind

Back to top Go down

Post  The Forerunner Wed Dec 17, 2008 11:03 am

~QuizzingChik~ wrote:Uhhh.. doctor who is popular in England and does not deserve its own forum! Its not popular here really! Devote to spongebob!

Here, let me point out the logical fallacies of this statement.
1. How do you know it's not popular here? I know at least 20 people who watch it, plus i've seen lines of over 200 people to see the 5th and 7th doctors.
2. There are obviously at least 5 people on this forum out of the 10 or 11 active users watch, or are interested in the show, thus this is an incredibly popular show in the context of this forum!
3. This forum has so many random threads, what's to mind with another? It's not like we have a limit... As for whether it deserves it, if we only kept worthy threads, I'd be deleting a TON.
4. It's a free country, if you want a Spongebob thread, go make it if you think people are interested.

If you don't like what's said in one thread, just don't read it, ok?
The Forerunner
The Forerunner
Admin
Admin

http://www.teefury.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Obasi42 Wed Dec 17, 2008 1:18 pm

Daughter of the Wind wrote:

9th: (my first, he was awesome. i was disappointed when he left) he had the most amazing smile.

10th: (it took me a while to warm up to the idea of a new Doctor, but i love him) to quote Rose "great hair, some really great hair", when he's sad i just want to make it go away, he admitted his love for Rose, I've known this doctor longer so i know him better.

Overall Doctor: when he's sad or angry, he can contain it unless you deserve his anger. you can tell when you're in for it by his eyes and his silence.

Eccleston is a 10 and Tennant is a 10.1

These things I completely agree with. (especially the part about the smile.) ARRGH!! No Doctor smiley(like that's ever gonna happen.) Rolling Eyes
Obasi42
Obasi42
Have You Seen My Gerbil?
Have You Seen My Gerbil?

Back to top Go down

Post  Obasi42 Wed Dec 17, 2008 1:20 pm

The Forerunner wrote:

Here, let me point out the logical fallacies of this statement.
1. How do you know it's not popular here? I know at least 20 people who watch it, plus i've seen lines of over 200 people to see the 5th and 7th doctors.
2. There are obviously at least 5 people on this forum out of the 10 or 11 active users watch, or are interested in the show, thus this is an incredibly popular show in the context of this forum!
3. This forum has so many random threads, what's to mind with another? It's not like we have a limit... As for whether it deserves it, if we only kept worthy threads, I'd be deleting a TON.
4. It's a free country, if you want a Spongebob thread, go make it if you think people are interested.

If you don't like what's said in one thread, just don't read it, ok?

Also, in Blockbuster Online (ya know, where you get movies delivered to you) we have waited two months for the first season of Doctor Who and it still says that it'll be a long wait.
Obasi42
Obasi42
Have You Seen My Gerbil?
Have You Seen My Gerbil?

Back to top Go down

Post  Haerodiel Wed Dec 17, 2008 5:18 pm

Which is my favorite? Good question. I really don't know. I can say that I miss Eccelston more than I will Tennant when he leaves, because Eccelston had such a short period as the Doctor. You can rewatch Tennant episodes a lot and not get tired of them, because there are so many to rewatch. Eccelston, on the other hand, gets repetitive much faster, as there's only one season of his to watch.

I like 'em both, but I'm ready for Tennant to leave, and a I wasn't ready at all for Eccelston to leave. Not that I want 10 to leave, I'm just ready for it, when it comes. We've seen all the aspects of Tennant's Doctor and enjoyed him to his utmost. I'd still be wonderfully happy to have him stay around another season.

Therefore, all my long and longing goes to Eccelston, even though I don't necessarily think that he was a better Doctor than Tennant.

How about you? Who's your favorite?
Haerodiel
Haerodiel

Back to top Go down

Post  Ydude Fri Jan 09, 2009 1:22 am

Well I've stayed away from this topic for fear of spoilers, but I have finally caught up!!!! Jen, I agree, I was not at all prepared for Eccleston to leave, but Tennant has served his time.
Ydude
Ydude
The Doctor's Companion
The Doctor's Companion

Back to top Go down

Post  Daughter of the Wind Fri Jan 30, 2009 7:29 pm

today, i found the one place where the Doctor and the Tardis cannot go but Donna can,
Through the Green Glass Door
don't tell people why they can't go through the grren glass door if they don't know why, i'm starting a new thread for the game.
Daughter of the Wind
Daughter of the Wind

Back to top Go down

Post  The Forerunner Sat Jan 31, 2009 12:57 pm

It's official, the Doctor is a steampunk fanatic! See The Girl In The Fireplace if you need proof, I've never been to proud.
The Forerunner
The Forerunner
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  duckducktape Sun Feb 01, 2009 10:32 am

The Forerunner wrote:It's official, the Doctor is a steampunk fanatic! See The Girl In The Fireplace if you need proof, I've never been to proud.
ooh neat perry.
i looked at some pictures on the bbc website.
i think you're right.
gr, now i wanna see the episode.
duckducktape
duckducktape
Most Excellent Theophilus
Most Excellent Theophilus

http://www.randomshirts.com/store/home.php?xid=68f8d0885fbbe7b8a

Back to top Go down

Post  The Forerunner Mon Feb 02, 2009 1:12 am

OMG G.I. Joe Trailer = 9th Doctor as Villian

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OV8oZ0npUy0
The Forerunner
The Forerunner
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  BBK Mon Feb 02, 2009 8:15 pm

that was totaly random isnt there a nother thread for saying that. Cool Razz Rolling Eyes Surprised Very Happy
BBK
BBK
A Man Named Steve
A Man Named Steve

Back to top Go down

Post  The Forerunner Mon Feb 02, 2009 8:25 pm

BBK wrote:that was totaly random isnt there a nother thread for saying that. Cool Razz Rolling Eyes Surprised Very Happy

Not really, only other Whoians would think the link was cool, thus I posted it in the Dr. Who thread.
The Forerunner
The Forerunner
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next